We are all witness to the endless barrage of health and workout supplements fighting for our attention and dollar. Walk into any GNC or supplement shop and you’ll see slick product marketing at its finest with packaging claims that reference a multitude of supposed scientific studies and “ground-breaking results.” However, almost invariably, deeper review into these studies and, more importantly, who funded the research yields the painful and expensive reality.
The truth is that study results are difficult at best to compare to real life use and the effective dosage to possibly attain similar results are often cut drastically to cut product costs. That is just one example, so let’s be clear—95% of supplements are a sham, targeting both your paycheck and your self esteem by selling you on how much better you’re going to look and feel. However, there is an exception to every rule and below are my top 6 most cost-effective supplements.
I reject the notion that effective supplementation requires forking over hundreds of dollars per supplement each month. Interesting enough, many of the most effective vitamins & supplements are the least expensive when compared to the latest, greatest “testosterone boosting, cell volumizing, ab shredding, deer antler power stack” or whatever the current flavor of the month promises.
So, without further ado, below are links to my top 6 cost-effective supplements, representing the highest ‘return-on-investment’ for your health dollar. To be extra helpful, I have included direct links to Amazon for those brands that I actually use myself, having been through much trial & error to find the best, quality brands within each category. Note: I have no direct affiliation with any supplement company below—only Amazon where I buy the majority of my supplements.
- Quality Multi-vitamin: There has been some scientific debate in recent years on the studies behind the effectiveness of multivitamins. In short, quality definitely counts and I have found the Garden of Life’s multi for men to be an excellent multi-vitamin as well as a rare company that cares about quality. The cost is about a buck a day, so they hit both our quality and cost thresholds. Some of their other supplements are great as well. Amazon Affiliate Link
- Fish oil: Once again, there is a huge difference in quality among the many fish oil brands on the market. After reviewing based on several criteria (EPA levels, quality, mercury removal, etc.), I have chosen to take Legion Triton brand. Bonus: their brand won’t give you the ever-sexy fish burps). I take 4,000 mg a day, which is still only about $.82/day if you buy the 180 pack. Amazon Affiliate Link
- Vitamin D3: I like that this company uses an olive oil base and is also GMO & gluten free. Here is a year supply of 5,000 iu/day for about $15 delivered! Amazon Affiliate Link
- Greens formula: How many of you get the recommended veggie intake every day? Me either. While it’s common to focus on our major macros (protein/carbs/fats), obtaining sufficient micronutrients is critical to long-term health and particularly hormonal function. The bad news is that it is increasingly difficult within the western food industry to get what one truly needs. Of the many greens supplements, I’ve found this Garden of Life Super Food to be excellent. It tastes like lawn clippings but, hey, that’s how you know they don’t compromise nutrition for taste. Amazon Affiliate Link
- Whey protein: This is another category where I’ve been around the horn, having tried many different brands. Especially if you are active, a diet centered around quality protein intake is key. I have spent a lot on fancy protein shakes and, in the end, I feel that the Optimum Nutrition (for the money) is a good bet. Legion, the maker of the multi mentioned above, is also a quality option. Amazon Affiliate Link
- Creatine Monohydrate: The amount of strength and fitness research invested into creatine is more than any other fitness supplement on the market. Simply put, creatine works for building muscle and, contrary to original thoughts, will not weigh you down with excessive water weight so long as you follow proper dosage. More recently, there are studies suggesting that creatine supplementation may also benefit brain and cognitive function as well. While there are hundreds of fancy creatine products on the market, I have found that a simple, quality creatine monohydrate is a great and inexpensive part of anyone that exercises regularly. Amazon Affiliate Link
Of course, this is just a sub category of supplement recommendations to support general health and optimal hormonal levels.
For the full-expanded review on the best supplements for maximum testosterone, check out my Ultimate Testosterone Supplement Guide that comes as a bonus within the Testosterone-180 and Testosterone-365 programs.